Wednesday, October 19, 2011

palmas y ceniza/ lulav and jametz

The man at the check-in counter at Laguardia treated my parents with the warm formality common among older Latinos. 
After finishing the check-in, he asked my father permission to ask a personal question. He noticed my father's Lulav-- what is that? what do you use it for? I have seen many others with it.
My dad explained its meaning and how it is used-- the man was surprised that we use the palm now and not in the spring, as is done on Easter.
Remembering the palm branches hanging over the doors in AndalucĂ­a, I asked him what he does with the palm after palm Sunday?
They burn it and use the ashes for ash wednesday. 
Sounds like what many jews do with their lulav- keeping the lulav over the door and then burning it with the hametz.

 This is yet another possible nexus of Christian and Jewish practices and beliefs engaged in a silent dance in the web of Convivencia. So many angles to consider!!! I want to explore this further.
Anyone with any leads please pass them my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment